Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Making a home away from home

When I went to the gas station to get water in the morning, I had a feeling that the employee there was not exactly American. He might have been a holder of the American passport but he wasn’t necessarily born or raised here. Going back to talk to him later that day proved me right.
The serious-looking employee is called Ibrahim Bakana and he was a native of Liberia. Bakana

was the research assistant of an American professor from the university of Santa Barbara in the 1980’s and his pay wasn’t in cash. Apparently, she promised to pay him back by helping him

get a scholarship to an American university. Liberia fought a brutal civil war on and off for many years and as the war seemed endless, Bakana moved to the United States four years ago and applied for political asylum. As a “dedicated” Muslim, Bakana complained that the US has many temptations. According to him, fasting during the holy month of Ramadan is a big challenge not only because of abstaining from food and drinks but also because of the way women dress here. I found this very interesting because I believe that you shouldn’t give up your religious and moral beliefs to fit in a society but at the same time, if you choose to stay here you should compromise. If living in a different environment is such a nuisance, going home will be a better option. In Bakana’s case, it is not a great option but later on, I was convinced it was an option for his employer. I didn’t mind Bakana stating his opinion about how things work in the United States because it is his right to speak his mind but my biggest worry is Bakana becoming one of them extremists we see on TV. I saw a program a couple of weeks ago about a Jamaican/British Muslim who wants to impose shariah law on England. I like having freedom of choice especially when it comes to religion but I would never consider imposing my opinion on others because simply, it is my own personal opinion!
Bakana didn’t hesitate in showing his feelings when he said he misses home. I related to him when he said that. It was interesting to see a person who lives in a first world country, who has a proper job and who I suppose has some luxuries millions of people don’t have especially in our part of the world. I consider myself privileged. In fact I lived a life many people I know could never dream off. Bakana and I are both from war-torn countries. We were forced out of our war-ravaged countries to other countries. In my case, not necessarily developed countries but countries at peace. I always wanted to ask other immigrants who fled their countries because of war and instability one question, would you have considered leaving your country if it was at peace?
Personally, I think that living in your country is amazing but self-preservation is even more important.

No comments: